Friday, April 16, 2010

Pregnancy Favorites

So far, these are some things I've found to really work for me. And for flavor, a few things that really didn't...

The Good.

#1 My Angelsounds Fetal Heartrate Monitor. Yeah, I know these only work for some people. But it worked wonders for me. I could hear our baby's heartbeat at 9 weeks and every day after that. So reassuring. Plus, you can hear him roll and hick-up. I would've lost my mind with out it.

#2 *Walmart* brand Advanced Therapy Lotion. Haven't got a stretch mark yet. The stuff lasts all day and you can tell it's working. I wish I would've used more of this stuff pre-pregnancy. Totally awesome. But once again, that's me talking.

#3 Old school toothbrush. I loved my electric toothbrush, but I found that it was irritating my gums. On our trip to Chicago I took a really soft travel toothbrush and...wow! It felt so good on my gums I brushed for way longer than needed. No more pink in the sink. Yea! It was like a spa resort massage for my chops.

#4 Ice Mountain water bottles. You drink out of them almost like a baby bottle so you don't take extra air down with you. Need I say more?

#5 www.i-am-pregnant.com- I like reading the comments on this website because other moms with my same week and due date post things. And it's totally candid and real. I laugh at it all the time because I can totally relate.

#6 Chocolate dessert. Okay, I know that's broad. Let me explain. Anything that sounds WAY too rich after a huge meal is exactly what I want. Yes, hand me that slice of cheesecake that is the size of my head, please. And yes, the more chocolate the better. Anything that I couldn't possible down pre-pregnancy I can down now. And it must be chocolate. And it must be really bad for you.

#7 Target brand t-shirts. They stretch. They come in great colors. They make my bump look like a basketball. Everyone's happy. And no one needs to look twice. Yes, I AM pregnant.

#8 Carnation Instant Breakfast (Chocolate Flavor). It's like drinking a yummy vitamin and it makes me just as happy as chocolate milk.

#9 E.l.f. cosmetics. How come no one told me about this before? $1. Are you serious? The other day I needed a confidence boost and I came across this. Thank you, Target. Once again, you prove to me that you are in the mind and heart of the pregnant lady (and female, in general).

Some things I'm not liking so much...

#1 My hair. It's out of control. I hate styling it. I get way too overheated when I try. It looks like a poodle/Jane Austen character. Get me out of here! I'm in the process of looking for some edge. Ughhhh. I just want it be cute without trying, but that's asking way too much.

#2 Our bed. Don't even get me started on this. It isn't comfortable. We even put a memory foam pad on top. I think I'll blame it on the pregnancy, but seriously. It's not on my nice list right now.

#3 Cocoa butter. It's okay, I guess. But it makes you smell like a chocolate cake and it doesn't last as long as my beloved Walmart lotion. Plus, it's expensive.

#4 Crest Pro Health toothpaste. I thought this would be good for tooth sensitivity and whatever. Well, I'm sure it works fine, but the flavor is ubber gross. It tastes like chemicals. Plus the beads in it give it a concrete texture. Bring me some of that on a cracker. Not.

#5 Movies. Could we get a good movie on isle 5, please? Geez, I feel like there's nothing good to see lately! I've just given up. I can't rely on movies for an occasional distraction anymore. They are just blah. Or maybe it's just hard to get around pregnancy/baby brain. After all, baby stuff is fun to think about...

2 comments:

Kent and Krista Stevenson said...

this is such a funny post! I am glad you don't have any strech marks yet, but don't count your chickens before they hatch! I didn't get one single strech mark until 2 weeks before Christian was born and now my entire lower stomach and sides are covered!!! haha! the joys of pregnancy!

Manda said...

Ellen you are the funniest person! I'll have to look at some of your recommendations for my next pregnancy. I'll have to try the Walmart brand of lotion next time. The smell of the cocoa butter stuff made me throw up for half my pregnancy (I couldn't even use it). I'm also jealous of you (but happy for you at the same time) that you are able to eat chocolate, it gave me the WORST heartburn.